Frequently Asked Questions
1. Are all occupations and skill levels eligible to apply?
Yes. All jobs and levels in the NOC (National Occupational Classification) are included in this pilot.
- Do I have to have a job offer to apply for recommendation?
Yes. All applicants must have a permanent, full-time job offer from a business in the Community.
- How long does it take to receive Permanent Residence?
After an applicant receives a recommendation from the community, which may take up to 3 months, Permanent Residence status may be available within approximately 12 months after applying to the IRCC.
- Can applicants with a job offer under $18 per hour still apply for this program?
Applicants must be offered a wage of at least $18 per hour to apply for the program. Read the Community Criteria Item 9 under employers tab for information on wage exemption criteria.
- Do applicants have to apply from outside of the country?
No. Applicants may apply from within Canada or outside.
- Can any employer provide a job offer?
No. Only businesses as described in the Community Criteria can be part of RNIP. Businesses can become part of the pilot before or after they offer a job to a foreign national. Applicants receive a community recommendation only after the business meets the Criteria. A business must first become approved before the employee can apply for an RNIP recommendation to become a permanent resident of Canada through IRCC.
- Can I apply for a job that is not posted on this RNIP job board?
Yes, candidates may apply for jobs in the community that are not posted on the RNIP North Okanagan Shuswap job board. You may look for jobs on other job boards such as the Canada Job Bank or Indeed. If candidates receive an offer for a job that is not approved by the Committee, candidates must ask the potential employer to contact the RNIP Coordinator for approval. All jobs posted on the RNIP job board are already approved.
- Do I have to make a candidate profile?
Yes, all applicants must create a Candidate Profile. You will need to upload all documents to your Candidate Profile.
- Can I apply for recommendation if I already have a job in the community?
Yes. If you are being offered an approved job in the community, you can apply for Permanent Residence. The following conditions must be met:
- The business is approved or becomes approved before the candidate applies for recommendation.
- The business proves that the job was advertised and posted in Canada, and that Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents were looked at for the job before hiring a foreign national.
- You make a Candidate Profile and upload all the needed documents. This includes the official IMM 5894 Offer of Employment form.
- How many recommendations can I apply for?
Only one recommendation can be applied for at a time. If necessary, the candidate may be able to reapply for another recommendation but there is a maximum of 2 recommendations per candidate in the North Okanagan Shuswap RNIP Pilot community regardless of the reason they may be seeking a second recommendation.
- When do applications need to be in?
The last month the committee shall issue a recommendation is February 2024. The pilot will officially end in August 2024 to allow for a 6 month validity period for the recommendations. Applicants should send in their applications as soon as they are complete.
If you are wondering how the coronavirus (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services in Canada, please visit the Government of Canada web page at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19.html
The Canada coronavirus webpage includes information about:
- COVID-19 cases in Canada, prevention and risk
- Travel restrictions and travel documents,
- Immigration applicants
- Worker, Student, and Visitor Visas
- Permanent residents
- Refugees, asylum claimants an sponsors
- Canadian and citizens applicants